27 March 2008

The Realitatea TV report

I decided to go out to Mina 1 Mai again, even I was not feeling very well, but I needed some answers. Yesterday, someone mentioned that around 12.00 noon in the news it was presented the Mina 1 Mai hospital. I have not seen, was not even home at that time, and I found out that it was shown the building form the outside, the yard just around the building, and the reporter. No familiar faces, no staff or patients.
I was curious how can they broadcast live from there, as you have to protect the faces of the patients, and how can you protect them if you are live? Obviuosly, by not showing them.
What I knew yesterday is that only the outside building was shown, no people, it was mentioned that the hospital is struggling because of lack of money and lack of staff, and also that charities from abroad came over to do work and help the hospital. The report itself was also quite short just a few minutes.

Today I went to see Garofita in the kindergarten, as I missed her yesterday and than went up straight to the hospital. As it was Thursday morning I met the Dr. Iordache too and the head nurse. I got a clear picture now of what happened.
On Wednesday morning Dr. Grigoriu apparently phoned the head nurse telling her that a TV crew will arrive. So they only knew about the arrival about some hour before. All the hospital was clean, heating working, patients OK, and for the surprise of the TV crew they did not find anything which would be worthy to go on the news (something really bad).
So they talked to the staff and the head nurse told me that they only took bits and pieces out what the staff told them and did not told the whole story in the front of camera.
What was told in the front of camera is that the building itself is not a proper hospital building, it would need many reparations, especially the outside. Also it was filmed the rubbish outside and some footage on the yard. Mentioned the dentist too and the lack of staff, and the male staff do all sorts of work there because they do not have enough people and enough money...
The head nurse told me that they were unhappy because the wards were nice and clean, mostly refubished, and the journalist reporter asked the head nurse "Do you have any wards which are not as nice and are not decorated? We would like to tape those"
What a shame that they only try to see what is bad and when is nothing bad they try to make something bad.
I was told that in Bucharest some psychiatrists have resigned because the Ministry of Health does not give them enough money and by this they tried to force the minister of health to allow more funds towards these hospitals. Also the head nurse told me that this TV station is now doing a campaign on all psychiatric hospitals in the country to show to the public to bad situation.
This TV station is famous as they make many different campaigns by which they try to force the present government in changing the laws, one of their most famous campaign was the car tax one.
I have not seen anything in the TV, not in their website regarding this hospital. The head nurse told me that they were filming indoors too, so it may be possible to air certain footages later in the following days, but I am not sure.
As a final word, the hospital was looking better than as it was expected. So the head nurse had her reasons to be happy today...

The Realitatea TV web site is www.realitatea.net

No comments: